Q: I can't get my truck out of four wheel drive

How can I get my 01 Dodge Dakota out of 4WD? I turned the selector switch while in Neutral, Park, Drive, and Reverse and it sounds like it is trying to get back into 2WD but it never does. Then my "Service 4WD" light comes on. I unplugged the cable going to the motor that makes it go in and out of 4WD and it looked good. All this started happening after I went through a deep mud puddle on my way to work.

Hello. Most of the time this occurs when the actuator in the transfer case fails. If the actuator was not when you went through the puddle then that could cause it to fail from the sudden change of temperature. This can also occur if there is a lot of moisture or water int he transfer case so in some rare cases servicing the fluid may help, but almost every time this will require a new actuator. If you need to have your four wheel drive system checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.

3. I can't get my truck out of four wheel drive