Q: Car cut off and ran out of gas - I put gas in it but the car still won't turn over

asked by on October 14, 2016

My car want start after the gas ran out. It crank but it won't turn over.

Fuel Pump Replacement $120.92 - $1186.72 Get a Quote

Hi there. If this has occurred after running out of fuel then chances are that you need a new fuel pump. What happens is that the fuel pump overheats when there is no fuel in the tank. The fuel is what cools the pump to keep it from getting too hot. Once the fuel is below 1/4 tank the pump gets hot and then once you run out it overheats and fails.

I usually start by checking the power to the pump and it is has power then the pump has failed if it is not functioning. If you are planning on having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your fuel pump.