Q: Vanos gear malfunction

Good day

I need information on what could possibly cause a venos gear (exhaust intake one) not to go back to lock position. The gear is brand new (at first I thought it was faulty then went to auto bavaria for replacement but it does the same thing).

The problem is, when the venos does not go back to the lock position, it creates miscommunication to the cam and it loses timing then power on vehicle is lost.

Anyone with information please assist BMW X3 2.5si

Hello. The symptoms you describe are commonly associated with a faulty Vanos solenoid or actuator. If the Vanos mechanism is not returning back to it’s proper position it may be possible that it is receiving the signal to due do, perhaps due to a faulty Vanos solenoid or valve. The same could also occur if the camshaft actuator mechanism, the mechanism that adjusts the position of the camshaft and timing of the engine, gets stuck, or encounters a fault. If the actuator mechanism component has recently been replaced then the next things I would look at are the Vanos solenoids. As these sorts of issues can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, if you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to determine if the Vanos solenoid needs to be replaced.

3. Vanos gear malfunction