If you are an automotive mechanic who wants to improve and gain the skills and certifications that BMW dealerships, other service centers and automotive technician jobs are searching for, you might consider getting BMW dealership certified. BMW has joined with the Universal Technical Institute (UTI) to design a program that focuses on diagnosing and repairing BMW vehicles. Currently, there are two easy routes to certification: FASTTRACK and STEP.
UTI’s FastTrack is a 12-week course that focuses on current BMW models, such as the X1, X3, X5, X6, 3, 5, 6 and 7 Series automobiles, and the Z4. The STEP program runs for 20 weeks and is a bit more intensive. However, BMW will pay for your training should you choose the STEP option.
What you’ll learn
While attending FASTTRACK/STEP, you will achieve BMW Level IV technician status and earn up to seven BMW FASTTRACK/STEPory credentials.
You will receive additional training in:
- New engine technology
- New engine fundamentals
- How to take basic measurements and completely disassemble and reassemble a BMW engine
- Engine electronics
- Become proficient in advanced wheel balancing equipment
- Learn BMW-approved brake service techniques
- How to diagnose and repair several types of BMW engine technologies including direct high-pressure fuel injection, turbocharging, and Valvetronic
- How to work on BMW’s Technical Systems
- How to work on new generation engines such as the N20, N55, N63, and turbo charging systems
- Learn the BMW technical information system (TIS), and BMW diagnosis and information systems that are currently used in service centers and dealerships
- How to use the latest Engine Management Systems
- How to work on BMW Body Electronics * Learn BMW-approved procedures to vehicle battery and electronic systems, service charging and starting systems
- Learn Power Management and Car Access Systems (Vehicles Immobilizers) and CAN BUS systems
- Gain experience with BMW Chassis Dynamics and Undercar Technology
- Perform alignment, strut removal and installation, and chassis service procedures
BMW FASTTRACK/STEP provides its students with a lot of hands-on experience. While enrolled in the 12-week or 20-week program, you will receive training in vehicle maintenance service, and safety and multipoint inspections. Your instructors will emphasize ASE certification training and preparation throughout your time at BMW FASTTRACK/STEP.
Is going to auto mechanic school the right choice for me?
Being certified through BMW FASTTRACK/STEP will ensure that you are current on all the newest BMW technology. And don’t forget that if you opt for the 20-week BMW STEP program, BMW will pay your tuition. Although it is a time commitment, you may also think of auto mechanic school as an investment in yourself, since your auto mechanic salary will most likely increase as you receive your BMW FASTTRACK/STEP certificates.
Competition in the automotive industry can be fierce, with technician jobs becoming harder to find. By attending auto mechanic school, you can only help to increase your auto mechanic salary.
If you’re already a certified mechanic and you’re interested in working with YourMechanic, submit an online application for an opportunity to become a mobile mechanic.