Q: 2013 BMW 650i shakes, loses power, warning lights come on

asked by on August 17, 2016

This is what happens while I’m driving: 1. My car shakes and immediately loses power, 2. The Engine light comes on, 3. Displays drivetrain malfunction, reduced power, immediate service. All during this time the car is shaking continually and then loses nearly all forward power. I have to completely stop the car and turn it off. This is extremely dangerous in traffic and on the highway. With little or no power, there is no controlling of the car and an accident probably couldn’t be avoided. I have seen numerous complaints like mine online and they post that they have not been able to find a solution to this problem. They say the following have been tried: replaced spark plugs, replaced coils, reprogramming the ECU, replaced fuel pumps and replaced fuel injectors. Even after those replacements, the owners say they still have the problem. According to these online entries, NHTSA and BMW are aware of the problem, yet they have no fix. After reading what I have, I am hesitant to spend all the money if the problem isn’t going to be fixed. Do you have any advice or can you tell me if you have found a solution to this type of problem? Thank you.

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2013 BMW 650i. Solutions have been found to problems similar to yours, but two vehicles with the same symptoms may still require different repairs. Your best bet is to have an experienced technician look over the vehicle in person and diagnose yours individually. A certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to conduct a comprehensive inspection of your car to pinpoint the problems and resolve this correctly. You could also try calling your local BMW to see if there is any updates on possible recalls for the problem you are experiencing.