Q: Car is idling at 1100 rpms

At idle, the car is idling at 1100 rpms. Fully warmed up the rpms remain the same. While driving and at a red light, it is still idling high. I put the car into neutral when I'm going to brake because it feels like the car wants to forcefully continue forward.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. High engine idle...

Hi, thanks for writing in. High engine idle can be caused by a number of different things. A stuck/binding throttle, vacuum leak, bad throttle position sensor, coolant or air flow sensor all can be the cause of a high idle speed. Have a certified technician perform a diagnosis for the high idle to find which is the cause. Continued driving with a high idle can cause poor fuel mileage and excessive brake wear, so I recommend doing this to avoid costly repairs. Best of luck and hope this helps!