Q: Rear windshield wiper broken

My rear windshield wiper on my Spectra 5 doesn't work. I know the washer fluid works, and I hear a motor noise at times like the wiper is going to start working. But it never does. Do you know what this problem is? How can I fix it?

A: For your 2005 Kia Spectra5, if you can hear...

For your 2005 Kia Spectra5, if you can hear the motor run without proper wiper operation, then you know a couple things. The switch is working, and the fuse and wiring are okay, too. The problem must be in the back where the motor actually attaches to the wiper arm. Something may have come loose. Or the wiper arm or linkage may need to be replaced. A good visual inspection of the wiper system should reveal where the problem exists.