Q: Growling noise in front wheels and steering wheel Mercury Sable

After I drive my mercury sable for awhile when I turn left or right there is a growling noise in the steering wheel that sounds like it is coming from the front wheels.

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. I am happy to...

Hello, thanks for writing in. I am happy to help you with the unusual noise issue you are experiencing with your 2003 Mercury.

If the noise is NOT occurring during turns when the car is cold, but rather only after the car fully warms up, you may have an issue with the power steering system that could be pump related or in the rack and pinion assembly.

If the noise occurs regardless of whether the car is hot or cold, the noise could be due to defective CV joints, strut bearings, or wheel bearings. Other somewhat less likely possibilities include part interference or brake issues. What you are describing is fairly easily diagnosed once the vehicle is actually examined.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.