Q: Temperature gauge problem on a 2005 Mercedes Benz S500

asked by on February 07, 2017

hello there.... i have a question about my temp gauge on a mercedes benz s500 my guage seems to go up above its normal state what i mean by this is it goes above the red line and it nevers comes back down is there a way to fix it

Temperature gauge is maxed out Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello - I would first check for problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is illuminated or not. And, if the engine is not really overheating, the problem is most likely the engine temperature sensor (the sensor for the gauge, not the sensor that feeds engine management - they are different), or the wiring to that sensor. A very high temperature reading would suggest that the sensor or it’s wiring is shorted. I recommend a engine overheating inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, confirm this diagnosis, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.