Q: Car stalled and would not start - 2013 Ford Fusion

asked by on October 19, 2016

The car stalled and would not start.when I tried to start it back up the break peddle was very hard. I have to push the break peddle down because i have a push button start. I took it to the dealer and they said because I got it started they couldn't find out what the problem was I hope you might have some idea

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. This could be a concern with the push start button itself. While the push start button has been around for a short while, it’s still not a perfect option. This option is taking the place of the mechanical ignition switch and it sounds like the button could have an intermittent problem that would be the equivalent of turning an ignition switch from the on position to the off position causing the engine to turn off.

Until the concern becomes more prominent, just make sure the key battery is good by replacing it with a new one; an inexpensive thing to do to prevent the dealer technician from suspecting a weak key battery causing concern.

The hard brake pedal is due to the engine not running and providing vacuum to the brake booster and is a normal condition based on your description. If you encounter this concern again, calmly pull over if you are driving and place the gear selector in park. Check to see if the push button will cycle the power modes; acc, on, ready/start. If at first it does not respond, then this could definitely be a push button switch concern.

Be patient and keep a record of what happens and when as this could be helpful information for the technician when diagnosing the concern. YourMechanic has several technicians available to assist you with a no start inspection and provide an estimate and direction of needed repair.