Q: Battery shot?

here's my issue, My car battery is currently shot, I know it is because it's boiling when I hook up the terminals as I connect the charger, I plan to replace that ASAP, the terminals are a little rusty, but nothing i can't clean, im going to try a battery that has more CCA than my current battery, my questions are this; can I use a set of jumper cables to connect the battery to the terminals because it's a difference of side (my battery) vs top ("spare battery") mounted and I can't afford the adapter kits, nor do I want to keep that battery in long, just long enough to get the engine to run. I did connect the spare battery to the car at one point, fan and everything powered up, but nothing turned over, no crank or spark I think it was called. Any direction would be extremely helpful. Thanks Gadget

I would not recommend using jumper cables as a means to connect your battery for a couple of reasons. First of all, it can be dangerous as it can create additional risk of sparks that would not otherwise happen when connected properly. Secondly, the jumper cables are not designed to be connected for extended periods of time and do not connect as well as terminals do that are bolted down, which may result in poor connection issues anyway. If the second battery did produce power but not enough to crank the engine over, there is a good chance it is simply too weak to turn the motor over. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to install the correct battery and terminals on your vehicle.

3. Battery shot?