Q: Can I wait to get my oil changed?

I am due for an oil change this month (November) or at around 62,000 miles (I am currently just above 60,000). I know that since I a do a lot of short distance driving, I need to change my oil more frequently (three months as opposed to waiting for the mileage), but I am wondering if it will be ok if I wait until mid-December to get my oil changed.

Today’s vehicles are generally capable of going between 5,000-10,000 miles between oil changes. I would recommend basing your oil change intervals on mileage rather than months due to fluctuation in mileage driven. You should be fine waiting until December to get your oil changed. The key is making sure there is always the proper amount of oil in the engine.

When you are ready, I would recommend having an expert mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to perform an oil change service.