Q: Driver seat broke and basically collapsed

asked by on November 03, 2015

Now I know that cars these days have a lot going on. I appreciate that companies innovate and I usually don’t judge when some little issue pops up. I own a computer, I know how much can go wrong with electronics! But the seat in my 2010 Subaru Forester has broken to the point of being useless when I have only 70,000 miles on this car. I am a healthy weight, but if I was not then this car would have made me very self-conscious! Will a factory replacement break as well? If so I’ll just get a chair from Ikea and bolt that in there, never had one of those collapse with me on it!

Greetings! Thank you for writing in about this problem. The welds on the seat brackets may have broken. This seems to be a common problem in this generation of Forester. A professional mechanic from YourMechanic can diagnose what failed and provide a quote to repair the seat. A complete seat replacement can run upwards of $2500. If just the brackets need to be welded, the repair can be done for significantly less than replacement.