Q: Driver seat broke and basically collapsed

Now I know that cars these days have a lot going on. I appreciate that companies innovate and I usually don’t judge when some little issue pops up. I own a computer, I know how much can go wrong with electronics! But the seat in my 2010 Subaru Forester has broken to the point of being useless when I have only 70,000 miles on this car. I am a healthy weight, but if I was not then this car would have made me very self-conscious! Will a factory replacement break as well? If so I’ll just get a chair from Ikea and bolt that in there, never had one of those collapse with me on it!

A: Greetings! Thank you for writing in about t...

Greetings! Thank you for writing in about this problem. The welds on the seat brackets may have broken. This seems to be a common problem in this generation of Forester. A professional mechanic from YourMechanic can diagnose what failed and provide a quote to repair the seat. A complete seat replacement can run upwards of $2500. If just the brackets need to be welded, the repair can be done for significantly less than replacement.