Q: My car shakes when I accelerate, but stops once I let off the gas.

asked by on May 20, 2017

When I drive my car as I accelerate above 25 MPH my vehicle begins to shake. This shaking continues at all speeds above that point, but once I let off the gas the shaking stops regardless of my speed. What could be the culprit of this shaking. It is 100% not the tires already had that checked out.

Hi there. Typically when you accelerate and the engine or steering wheel is vibrating, it’s due to motor or engine mounts being worn out. During acceleration, the motor mounts the engine vibrates naturally as RPM’s increase. Engine mounts are the component responsible for securing the engine of a vehicle to the chassis. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit a wide variety of needs, but they all serve the same purpose of mounting the engine and dampening engine vibration. However, it’s also possible that a vacuum leak exists or something entirely different is causing this vibration. It’s probably best to have one of our professional mechanics come to your location to complete a steering wheel is vibrating inspection. This will allow them to isolate the source of the problem and recommend the correct repairs.