Q: How do I top off AdBlue?

asked by on October 24, 2016

I want to add some adblue to topoff the tank. what are the specific steps in doing it?

The Audi Q5 has an AdBlue filler cap located next to the fuel filler cap on the side of the car. Some Audis are supplied with a hexagonal AdBlue filler cap, which requires the wheel nut wrench from the boot. Others are supplied with a filler cap that can be removed by hand, in the same manner as the fuel filler cap.

The capacity of the AdBlue tank on an Audi Q5 is 23L, which gives an estimated range of around 9000 Miles, dependent on driving style. When refilling the Q5, the minimum amount is 5.7 liters, otherwise the AdBlue level meter will not acknowledge the top up. Many of the AdBlue containers come with a wide variety of spouts and pouring aids – these are hugely beneficial, making it much easier to fill your tank.

First - it’s incredibly important to use clean or new equipment. For this reason we strongly suggest not using something that has ever come into contact with engine oil, coolant, fuel or lubricant, such as a funnel or spout. Typically, the best attachment are the locking spouts – These are provided with most 2 and 4 liter containers, and screw on to the AdBlue filler cap, and must be “pushed” down to unlock the valve and allow the liquid to flow. These have the benefit of locking out all exterior sources of contamination such as dust or water, in addition to removing the risk of spillage.

After the tank is full (be careful not to overfill and spill) you can reseal the tank. There is a sensor in AdBlue tanks, you don’t need to “reset” anything – it will automatically read the tank as full. Remember that if you fill with a small amount (less than 4 liters), it may not register as a reset and you will still receive low warnings.