Q: Start up problem - 2001 Jeep TJ

Cleaned out my throttle body today and after rpms and gauges went back to normal after revving high. Now on start up sometimes it will only click - not turn over. Just bought new battery 5 mos ago and battery reads fine. It now makes a sort of grinding noise right after start up for approx 1-2 seconds then runs fine. At a loss of it could be my starter, alternator list goes on.. Thoughts?

Hello. The clicking sound you are hearing may possibly be related to the starter solenoid which is a unit located on the starter that transfers current to the starter when you turn the key. The grinding noise you are hearing upon start up lasts for 1-2 seconds and may be potentially related to the starter hanging up on the flywheel.

When you turn the key to start the engine, there is a small gear that comes out of the starter and meshes with the flywheel which is connected to the crankshaft in your engine. When the starter turns this, this is what causes your engine to turn over. Once the engine fires and begins to run on its own, this small starter gear retracts. When this fails to retract, this can occasionally cause it to grind against the flywheel for quick second as you may have experienced casing this grinding sound. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose the starting problem and replace the starter if needed.