Q: When I put gas in, after a few seconds it spits it back out.

I bought my van used. Every time I put gas in I can only pump for a few seconds. If I don't stop and pull the nozzle out for a few seconds before pumping (for a few more seconds), it will spit gas out. It does this every time no matter how full or empty my tank is when fueling, what gas station I go to, etc. I think the air is not venting as I fuel. What causes this problem and how can I fix it? Thanks!

Hi there. The fuel vent hose on the fuel filler neck is plugged and not allowing the fuel to vent as the tank is filled up. You may have to remove the rubber hose to the tank and take a cleaner or coat hanger (metal) and fish it through the vent tube and into the fuel tank. Over time, fuel vapors with debris in them will plug up the vent tube and cause it to not vent the fuel tank. This will make the fuel system not fuel up under a heavy load. If you need further assistance with your fuel system not venting, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. When I put gas in, after a few seconds it spits it back out.