Q: Will turn over but won't spark to start, 1987 Chevrolet Cavalier

asked by on August 24, 2016

Changed fuel pump charged battery it will turn over but won't start could it be the coil pack or electronic Module?

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1987 Chevrolet Cavalier. As you may already know, your car needs air, fuel, and spark to start. You have covered most of that already. If it is not getting spark, start by checking spark to the spark plugs and work your way back to the coil packs. If you are able to test both the coil packs and the ECM, I would recommend doing this after checking spark and confirming everything else works. If you’d rather have someone take a look at this for you, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician will be able to come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem and let you know what needs repair.