Q: What is the difference between a pinion seal and a pinion flange?

What is the difference between a pinion seal and a pinion flange?

Hello there, thanks for your question.

The pinion flange is a part of the rear differential housing that the driveshaft bolts to. The other end is attached to the pinion gear inside of the differential.

The pinion seal is what seals the oil inside of the differential and keeps it from leaking around the pinion flange. These seals wear out over time and will require replacement.

3. What is the difference between a pinion seal and a pinion flange?