Q: My car made a loud screeching noise and now smoke comes from under the hood and it smells. Also its not drivable

asked by on November 11, 2017

When i turned on my car it sounds as if someone is hitting the gas. Then it made a really loud screeching noise. After that smoke started coming from under the hood and it had a strong smell. I have no oil or coolant leaks. It all just started happening yesterday.

It sounds like you may have an issue with the transmission. A torque converter going bad makes the most noise when the engine is running and the transmission is in gear with the vehicle sitting still. If you move the shifter to the Neutral "N" position and the noise disappears, the case for a failing torque converter increases. Also, if the noise decreases as the vehicle begins rolling, the problem is almost definitely a failing torque converter. Once a torque converter begins screeching or rattling it is only a matter of time before the converter fails. Sometimes, when a torque converter fails, it literally explodes. When this happens, bits and pieces of metal are pushed into the transmission, which can cause catastrophic transmission failure.