Q: Ignition coil overheating

The car run perfect for about 20 minutes, then the engine cuts off and I'm unable to start the engine again until my coil cools down

A: When electrical components get hot it is ty...

When electrical components get hot it is typically due to a high level of resistance. The most common issues with the coils getting hot are caused by the spark plugs, wires, or the distributor.

You may want to replace the spark plugs. This is a component that you can change as often as you want and it would only be good for your vehicle. The spark plug wires also need to be clean, dry, and tight. If these wires are loose, exposed to the elements, corroded, or shorted out they can develop high resistance.

The resistance across the wires can be tested with an ohmmeter. The "allowable" resistance for the cables to test good will depend on the cable length and what its made from. VW specifications may be harder to find. If you think the wires are to blame due to damages or other process of elimination, I suggest having them replaced. If you would like to have this taken care of, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the stalling problem and have this resolved.