Q: Head unit turns on but there's no sound coming from the speakers.

So I recently purchased my first Saab (saab 93 linear 56 plate - old shape, face lift interior). The only issue when I first bought it was that only the middle dash speaker was working, none of the others were. I bought a new double din head unit and it got it "professionally" installed in an attempt to fix the speakers.

After the "audio specialists" spent 3 hours putting the new head unit in, I noticed that even the middle speaker stopped working. Now, my knowledge of car audio electronics is pretty limited, but I do want to find out what the issue is myself instead of spending even more money and time going to a professional. I've got as far as checking the fuse, which was fine and I'm pretty sure it's not the speakers as it's highly unlikely that all 7 speakers could go. So what could it be?

You said you have an aftermarket deck installed now. For the deck to power up, it needs power, ignition and ground. It may also have a wire for illumination. Since the deck is coming on, all of these connections are good. According to the wiring diagram for your vehicle, there is no amplified used. This indicates the problem is likely the wiring to the speaks or the speakers themselves. It’s not unheard of to blow 6 or 7 speakers, I’ve done it myself. I especially lean towards the speakers since you said they didn’t work well with either deck you tried. I recommend having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose and repair this problem for you.