Q: Can't shift out of park when brakes are fully applied

My truck won't shift out of park. When the truck is running, and the brake pedal is fully pressed down, I can't shift out of park to any other gear. In addition, the brake lights don't engage, the stay off with the brake pedal pushed down. What could the problem be?

A: This issue seems to me like it would be cau...

This issue seems to me like it would be caused by the brake switch. When the brake switch is engaged, the brake lights come on.

There is also a shift interlock solenoid in most vehicles that is not acted upon by the brake pedal switch. If the brake pedal switch is inoperative, the brake lights nor the shift lock solenoid will be engaged.

I would recommend having an experienced mechanic take a look under your dash to locate the brake switch. Once this switch is found, a thorough diagnosis of your shifting issue can take place: the wiring and switch itself would be checked for damages, and any parts found to be faulty would be replaced at your request.