Q: What can I do to get my car running? It tries to crank and start but it struggles.

Tge car was running real good and smooth then u hard a loud clunk and then went to check the starter and the nose of the starter was broke and took the starter back to oreillys and got a new one put it back in the car and now it just cranks it tries very hard to start but just cranks on and off

If the car is cranking strong with the new starter, and just won’t fire up, it’s time to re-check the basics. Check for a good spark at the plugs. If spark is good, try spraying a bit of starter fluid while starting. If you get a quick start up, then it dies, you’ve got a fuel problem - low/no fuel pressure, dirty injectors, clogged fuel filter, fuel pump fuse, relay or pump issues.

Also, given your mileage, the timing gear/chain set may be worn enough to throw the timing off to the point where it won’t start from bad spark timing.

I would recommend having your car’s starting issue inspected by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• What can I do to get my car running? It tries to crank and start but it struggles.