Q: Grinding noise from around engine

Whenever I start my 2012 Honda CR-V, there’s a loud grinding noise coming from under the hood. The engine runs fine but the noise really worries me. Even if it is totally fine mechanically, I would like to use my relatively new (50,000 miles) vehicle without listening to a harsh grinding noise. What is the best way to diagnose and fix the problem?

A: The grinding noise you are hearing, if what...

The grinding noise you are hearing, if what you describe lasts less than five seconds, is likely caused by the variable valve timing control actuator (VTC) being defective as per Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 09-010 dated September 2014. The TSB is not a covered repair outside of normal warranty coverage and is for the replacement of the VTC. While the noise may be irritating, it does not cause any damage. The replacement VTC will eliminate the noise. If you want to verify the problem and see if the TSB applies to you, you can contact YourMechanic for a thorough check.