Q: My headlights, both high & low beam, are out - 2002 Pontiac Sunfire

headlights, hi & lo beam are out. First time in 2 months the car has been out after dark. ( I had surgery & could not drive). It was early, about 6 pm., when I started it to come home. I thought the headlights were very dirty. Wrong!! No lights; I used the back streets to make it. If I held the lever to switch to hi beam, I actually got a little light to get home. If my hold slipped, the headlights were again out. I had lights inside the car, I replaced the battery a few months ago. Hopefully it is a problem that will not break the bank......HELP!!!!

Hi there. It seems that the high and low beam switch has a broken contact in it. It would be best to remove the switch and replace it with a new one. If, for some reason, the switch does not fix the lights, then there could be a loose wire in the steering column causing the lights not to work.

If you need further assistance troubleshooting your headlights, then seek out a certified technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, who can replace the dimmer switch and diagnose any further issues with your car.