Q: Car starts, but makes clicking noise

asked by on February 03, 2016

The car is making a clicking noise when I drive it. The car is leaking from two places towards the front of the vehicle. I have minor trouble starting, but it will start. Not sure if it is misfiring, or if it needs the starter or battery replaced.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Sounds like your car is in need of some attention. If the clicking sound is mainly when you turn the wheel it might be your cv joint. CV joints are what connect your tire to the transmission. The joint itself is covered in a special grease for lubrication and protected from dirt and grime by a rubber boot. Over time the boot tears and the grease leaks out. This damages the cv joint. Once damaged it will start making a clicking sound. The grease being slung from the cv joint might be the leak you are taking about. Starting issues are difficult to diagnose especially with such limited information. There are many variables that come into play. If the crank is a slow one and your battery is close to 3 years old, it could very well be that your battery is starting to show signs of wear. When a starter usually fails, it starts by not cranking intermittently. Eventually it simply will not turn. I would definitely suggest getting help from a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to properly diagnose the clicking noise.