Q: Battery light came on, overheated, coolant sprayed everywhere

asked by on October 09, 2017

I was driving home and I had been hearing weird noises for the past few days but just ignored them. All of a sudden my battery light came on, to which I thought I could make it home and get it checked out the next day. Before I made it the temperature gage started rising rapidly and I was forced to pull over. There was thin smoke coming from under the hood and upon opening it I realized coolant had sprayed everywhere. My motor was soaked in coolant, my engine was soaked in coolant, everything was soaked in coolant.

Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement $96.60 - $325.96 Get a Quote
Thermostat Replacement $141.92 - $702.78 Get a Quote

The noise you were hearing may have been the serpentine belt breaking. Once the belt broke completely both the water pump and alternator stopped turning, thus accounting for both the overheating and the charging light coming on. It’s possible you just need a new serpentine belt but the car has to be checked for seized components driven by the serpentine belt in case that accounts for the belt having broken in the first place. You can obtain a new serpentine belt by requesting serpentine belt replacement. Of course, until you obtain a new belt, be sure not to drive the car because with no serpentine belt driving the water pump, the car will overheat for sure and that can easily warp the cylinder head and/or engine block causing costly damage. Please note that the engine cooling thermostat can be damaged during an episode of overheating. You should consider replacing the thermostat to avoid further problems. If you request serpentine belt replacement a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will get the belt issue, and any related problems, resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr