Q: Rear end repair. I took the differential cover off and there were bearings inside.

I took off my rear differential cover and there were barrings inside what's that mean? And would it be better to just get a whole other rear end off of an other tahoe

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. When you open...

Hello, thanks for writing in. When you open up a differential case you should see the differential gears, the ring and pinion. If the rear end is damaged or blown, you may see damage to the gears, or find metal shavings and pieces in the housing. In most cases a rear end will produce a howling or grinding noise from the rear end to indicate that there is an issue.

If the differential gears are excessively damaged the differential, or perhaps entire rear axle may need to be replaced. In some cases replacing the entire axle is less expensive then a rebuild.

If you are unsure I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to see if the differential may need to be replaced, and perform a differential fluid service if necessary.