Q: My AC compressor locked up and my steering wheel belt snapped and my car begin to overheat. What is the cause?

asked by on February 25, 2017

I was driving one day then my car overheated, my steering belt snapped and my AC compressor when i looked in my hood i noticed it was locked up what could cause this?

Either the air conditioning compressor or clutch has failed. Most of the time the clutch fails and locks to the compressor housing causing the compressor to not turn. If the air conditioning was off when the belt seized, then the clutch would need replaced. If the air conditioning was running when the belt was seized, then the compressor and the clutch would need replaced along with a new belt. If you need further assistance with your drive belt coming off, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.