Q: Stalling dying when stopped

My car stalled and died while idling at stop signs and stop lights. I thought it was having alternator and/or electrical problems. So I have replaced my alternator 3 times. Then I replaced the battery, plugs and wires, and I am still having the same problems. The Kia dealer said that it was an aftermarket alternator, so it was replaced at their expense. But my car still died at the lights and stop signs. It had to be jumped 5 times on my way to work, too! The dealership scanned the engine and revealed no codes. The mechanic said to do a system reboot, but then the dealer said you could only scan a 2007 car or newer not my car and year. I am so frustrated can you help? Thanks.

That sounds like a frustrating issue for your 2005 Kia Spectra5! I’m wondering how it runs when you’re going down the road and not trying to idle at a stop. If it drives okay, but won’t idle, then that’s a specific problem. If it hasn’t already, the throttle body should be checked to be sure the throttle body is clean. The idle air control should be checked since that is the component the computer uses to control idle speed.

Something about that "not able to scan your year" excuse doesn’t sound right. If the Kia dealer is unable to diagnose and repair your Kia and is giving up, I would consider going up the chain above the dealer service manager’s head to a Kia manufacturer’s service zone rep to see if you can get some customer service from them.

If you would like to have an independent mechanic give you a second opinion on your vehicle, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your car’s stalling issue and perform any needed repairs.