Q: My truck overheated - is it a bad water pump or something else?

Stop @ light, go to drive feel back tires stutter, driving and coolant reserve cap blew off and over pressurized, truck over heated. Parked it. Got new cap and coolant, drove 2 miles and over heated again. Got towed home. Got new stat and coolant reserve. Overheated again. When I was sealing coolant system had ac on hot and high, was blowing coolish air not hot. Is it my water pump that's bad or a head gasket? Maybe a cracked cylinder? No water in the oil. Had oil change like 2k miles prior oil really dark but not milky

A: The [water pump]undefined) should definitel...

The [water pump]https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-water-pump) should definitely be evaluated. If you start the car cold, once engine temperature gauge reads in the normal range, check to see if radiator is hot. If radiator is cool and you have a new thermostat and thermostat was installed right, that means the hot coolant is not circulating to radiator and you can suspect pump is no good (or belt driving pump is loose) or system is blocked. Be sure to promptly turn the truck off as overheating will warp engine parts. Look also for obvious causes like a collapsed radiator hose (bottom hose typically) and yes, the coolant should be tested for presence of exhaust by-products but only after water pump is checked. YourMechanic can both diagnose and repair your cooling system problem during a mobile visit. Just let us know if and how we can assist you.