Q: How do the active head restraints work in a 2012 Toyota RAV4?

asked by on December 14, 2015

How do the active head restraints work?

Your car is equipped with active head restraints. These are much more than mere headrests designed to make you more comfortable while driving or riding. They’re actually part of your car’s safety system and activate during rear end collisions. Here’s what you need to know about how they work:

• You must be seated properly.

• The head restraint must be set correctly (the top of your head should be even with the top of the head restraint).

• During a rear-end collision, your lower back will press into the seatback. This activates the head restraint.

• The head restraint will tilt forward slightly, helping to ensure that your head doesn’t whip backward, causing an injury.

Tips

• The head restraint may move forward with even light pressure to the seatback.

• Pulling up on the head restraint in its uppermost position may cause the inner structure of the supports to be visible above the seat fabric. This is normal.