Q: Car racing and idling high

asked by on March 28, 2016

The car is racing, and the low idle is too high. The RPMs do not go all the way back down when I lift my foot off the gas pedal. I personally replaced half of the O2 sensors, but the front right is rusted in. But I doubt that is the problem. Also, the dash light indicates the trunk is open most of the time. It seems as if there is a bad sensor.

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi, these cars have developed many idle issues over the years and there are a few things to check. All the linkages for the throttle should be inspected to make sure that when you release the pedal, the return spring closes the throttle all the way. You should also have the engine inspected for any vacuum leaks. Our certified technicians here at YourMechanic would be able to inspect your engine and help diagnose the trunk sensor.