Q: How do I program a new remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitter with a recognized transmitter?

How do I program a new remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitter with a recognized transmitter?

A: If your vehicle has no remote keyless entry...

If your vehicle has no remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitters that are currently programmed, then you will need to program all of your RKE transmitters. This process can take a while, but is easy to do if you follow these instructions:

1. Make sure that your vehicle is turned off, and that you have all of the transmitters that you will be programming.

2. Extend the key from one of the RKE transmitters by pressing the button at the top of the transmitter.

3. Insert the key into the door lock on the outside of the driver’s side door, and turn the key into the unlock position five times, within a span of 10 seconds. After doing this, the Driver Information Center (DIC) will display the words “Remote Learn Pending, Please Wait.”

4. After about 10 minutes, the DIC will switch to the words “press engine start button to learn.” Following this prompt, press the ignition button. The DIC will then return to the words REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.

5. Repeat step 4 two times, so that the vehicle has cycled through the ignition stage three times. At this point, all previously programmed transmitters will no longer work. That way, if a transmitter has been lost or stolen, it cannot be used on your vehicle any more. The DIC should now display the words READY FOR REMOTE #1.

6. Locate the RKE transmitter outlet, which is on the center console, directly next to the power outlet. Remove the plastic trim from the transmitter outlet, revealing the transmitter slot.

7. Place the RKE transmitter key that had been used in the driver’s side door into the transmitter outlet slot.

8. Press the ignition button. This will program the RKE transmitter.

9. When the DIC displays that the transmitter has been programmed, remove the transmitter and press the unlock button on it.

10. Repeat steps 7-9 with the remaining transmitters that you wish to program.

11. Press and hold the ignition button for 10 seconds, which will quit out of programming mode.

12. Place the plastic trim back on the transmitter outlet slot. All of the RKE transmitters are now programmed.