Q: 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT won't start

2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT won't start. There is no sound at all when turning the key. At first no interior lights came on, then a few dashboard lights would flash for a second and then go out. New battery was installed about a month ago and the connections seem to be good, there's no corrosion and tapping them did nothing. Also, power locks on the door just stopped working (I have to manually move the lock) and the remote keyless entry won't lock the door (but it will unlock). I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks

Prior to performing diagnostics be sure you have a fully, 100% charged battery that passes a load test. Then, confirm that the engine immobilizer system (security system) is not activated thus preventing the car from starting. If the immobilizer system is on, you may see a security warning light. To temporarily override the immobilizer system, see these instructions. If the battery happens to be dead, use an ammeter to rule out any parasitic (excess) load on the car’s electrical circuits that might be causing the battery to discharge even when the car is off. And, once you get the car running, in a scenario where a "new" battery became discharged, the charging system will have to be tested because a faulty charging system will cause a good, or "new" battery to slowly discharge.

If the battery tests good and is 100% charged, and there are no parasitic electric loads, attempt to start the car. If there is no starter motor operation at all, that is if there is no starter operation with the key held in the "start" position, the procedure is to test for power to the starter motor. If there is no power, then the electrical circuit supplying the motor has a fault. That circuit begins at the battery and includes grounds, wiring (some of which is very heavy cabling), fuses, relays, the ignition switch and terminations. Basically, with a fully charged battery, and with the key held in the "start" position, the starter is either getting power or it isn’t. With the key in the "start" position, if the starter motor is getting power but the starter doesn’t work, then the starter is condemned and replaced. Note that starters can and sometimes do develop intermittent faults due to bad spots on the armature. The bottom line is if there is battery voltage to the starter (and no excessive voltage drop) and yet the starter doesn’t work, it’s dead. If you desire that a certified mechanic resolve this, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get the problem diagnosed and repaired for you. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.

3. 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT won't start