Q: Two new xenon light bulbs burn out instantly as soon as they are turned out.

asked by on July 11, 2016

My drivers side xenon low beam light bulb was yellow. Tried to replace it and the first bulb light up for one second or less then burned out. Thought it was a dud. Exact same thing happened with next bulb. Is this being caused by the ballast giving it too much wattage? A D2S xenon bulb is what the car calls for. I have to admit I bought the cheap ones. But, I don't want to buy the expensive kind and then have them burn out due to a faulty ballast.

Headlight Bulb Replacement $92.90 - $1391.77 Get a Quote

If the old bulb wasn’t burnt out by the ballast, the new ones shouldn’t either. The most likely cause of your woes are the cheap bulbs. I would strongly suggest only purchasing name brand bulbs. They may be much more expensive, but they will last much, much longer than 30 seconds. Cheap knock off bulbs are made to very poor quality standards, and will almost certainly fail shortly after they install, if not immediately, just as you have already experienced. Your old bulb was only yellowing due to age, which is a normal condition for HID bulbs. If you want to have to have the bulbs replaced with new ones, YourMechanic can source and install quality bulbs for your car and make sure they work correctly.