Q: Q: How do the seat belt pretensioners work?

How do the seat belt pretensioners work?

Your seat belts are more than just pieces of fabric that buckle to hold you in place. The front seat belts are equipped with pretensioners that are designed to help enhance your safety during an accident.

Essentially, the pretensioners are designed to pull the shoulder belt backwards during an impact (after the belt is allowed to extend a little bit to accommodate the forces acting on your body). The pretensioner will retract the belt to help hold you in the seat and prevent injuries.

Tip

The pretensioners will not activate in all types of accidents. The car’s computer determines when or if they’re necessary.

3. Q: How do the seat belt pretensioners work?