Q: Car will not shift, speedomete is erratic..

asked by on September 29, 2016

When driving the car, it will not shift from the initial, or first gear.. speedometer is erratic. No OBDII code, Is it possible that the Output, or Input speed sensor is bad?

Hey there:

It’s possible that the speedometer sensor is the source of your shifting and speedometer issues. The speedometer sensor is designed to register the driveshaft’s rotational speed and relay this information through the speedometer cable and to the vehicle’s computer, which converts electrical pulses into a numerical speed. This is where it can cause issues in shifting in an automatic transmission.

Since your car is a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, a diagnostic scan by a certified technician, such as one form Your Mechanic, will give you a good starting place to determine the exact source of your shifting and speedometer issues.