Q: cracked oil pan

My car got a cracked oil pan during servicing. I went home and after a day it started leaking oil. The service rep said it was a gasket. Now its 4 days later, and I still don't have my car repaired. I’ve been told at various times that its leaking coolant, has a small transmission leak and the gasket sealant is not curing. Can you advise me as to what’s going on?

Hello. It is possible that the service shop doesn’t know exactly what is leaking or where the leak is coming from. When there is a leak that is hard to detect, sometimes a technician will introduce dye into the oil, transmission fluid, and coolant in order to determine where the leak is.

I would recommend that you ask the shop to show you where the leak is coming from and explain what they fixed or plan to fix. I would also ask them to show you all of the parts that they have replaced so far so that you know that they have done the work they are claiming to have done. If you are not comfortable with the shop that is completing the repairs for you vehicle, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete an inspection to pinpoint your problem.