Q: Fuel tank is so rusty, can a sheet metal shop fabricate a fuel tank made of stainless steel and will it not rust?

asked by on September 06, 2016

I have never seen a fuel tank so rusty, it seems that it was full of water instead of gas. The fuel pump was so full of rust it failed. I need to know if a shop can fabricate a fuel tank with stainless steel metal and if it won`t rust again? I am scared to buy a new fuel tank if it was available.

Hello. I do not think you will find a shop to make a fuel tank for the vehicle since the tank is very custom to fit only your vehicle. You should purchase a new one and try not to always run your fuel tank near empty. The fuel in a tank will keep the rust from forming. When you run low on fuel all the time, the top part of the tank will start getting rusted and will spread all over the tank. Also stay away from fuel stations that just got their tanks filled by the tanker. You will get excess water if you do.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr