Q: Diesel fuel accidentally added to car and car won't start

Four days ago, a relative of mine accidently added 2-3 gallons of diesel fuel to my car instead of what should have been put in the gas tank. He drove to our house, 2 miles from the gas station, but now we can not restart the car. We can not get an appointment with my preferred mechanic for two weeks. We thought we might park it and wait the two weeks. Instead, should we have it towed immediately to the nearest available mechanic so they can drain the diesel fuel before it causes further damage?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2011 Infiniti G25. Diesel fuel can damage the injectors, lines, and filters of a gasoline fuel system. Since a gasoline engine can’t correctly combust diesel fuel, engine damage can also result. The diesel fuel has the potential to do more damage the longer you let it sit, so I would have the starting issue inspected at as soon as possible in order have this resolved.