Q: Can a bad fuel pump cause overheating and loss of coolant.

My car has overheated 3 time. Each time it was super low on fluid. After adding fluid it will be fine for a month or so. Last time I was advised to put stop leak in with the coolant. It has been fine for over a month But, today it got hot and started smoking. After letting it cool down, I drove it to the nearest auto. They discovered the belt was busted and it needed a new fuel pump. They said it should take care of it. Your thought appreciated.

My car has well over 95000 miles.

Hello. We will be happy to help you. The coolant system and the fuel system are unrelated. If one is malfunctioning it will not have an effect on the other one. The fuel pump is also not belt driven, I hope that the auto store did not tell you that it was. What I think that was meant to be said is a leaking water pump. A leaking water pump is a very common cause for overheating and it is belt-driven. I suggest that you have your coolant system pressure tested which will help expose your leak(s). The auto parts stores do not perform such test but the technicians provided here at YourMechanic do. I will get customer service to send you a quote for inspection of your overheating, they may also send you a quote for the water pump and belt replacement for your future reference.

3. Can a bad fuel pump cause overheating and loss of coolant.