Q: How would kerosene in the gas tank effect the catalytic converter?

I was in Tennessee driving my Prius when I needed to fill it up. I stopped at a gas station to top it off and immediately after the car stopped working. I had it towed to a different town where the Toyota Dealer told me that "a kerosene like substance was mixed in with the gas". They drained the tank and flushed the system. When I got back to Montana, I was told that the Catalytic conveyer had to be replaced. What role did the "kerosene like substance" play in this situation. I've just heard so many different things for so many different people that I don't know what to believe.

I do not think it was kerosene you put in your tank. I would say it was diesel fuel. I’ve seen this happen many times where diesel fuel is put in the wrong fuel tank in the ground at a gas station. The diesel fuel will damage the converter in the car since the diesel will burn too hot and melt the converter.

From what you’ve described, the fault here is with the gas station or that you used the wrong nozzle when filling up.

If you’d like to have your catalytic converter replaced, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to do so.

3. How would kerosene in the gas tank effect the catalytic converter?