Q: When car runs awhile it will stall. The engine will turn on but as soon as you put it into drive it stalls.

if can runs for a while it just stalls. You can start the car but one you put into gear it stalls. If you let car sit for several hours it starts right up. I have one mechanic telling me its catalytic converter other telling me its Mass air flow sensor. Can a bad mass air flow sensor cause the car to do this?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. Any number...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Any number of things can cause an engine to stall. Assuming, the Check Engine Light is not coming on, leads me to believe the ECM (Engine Control Module)/computer is not recognizing the fault.

The catalytic converter restricted would cause an overall lack of power to go along with the stall. The MAF (mass airflow) sensor incorrectly calculating the incoming air to the engine, could result in a stall situation. Low fuel pressure caused by, a faulty fuel pump, or a faulty fuel pressure regulator, could result in a stall situation. A faulty IAC (idle air control) valve could also result in a stall situation.

Having to let the vehicle sit for several hours, leads me to believe, the engine will not restart right away. Replacing components without proper diagnoses, can be expensive and time consuming without resolution. To avoid this, I recommend having your vehicle's stalling issue be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.