Q: I have a 2007 crown Vic interceptor my oil light came on and went off ,is that the oil pressure sensor or the oil pump itself? 2007 Ford Crown Vic

asked by on February 26, 2017

My oil light came on and went off but only does it when I'm moving slow and goes right off .I got a oil change right after it happened and it didn't come back on for some hours afterwards but like I said I was driving at a slow pace ,but when im driving at regular speed it doesn't come on ,is that the oil pressure sensor or the oil pump? I have a 2007crown Vic interceptor

Hi there - to be specific, the oil pressure warning light is coming on in response to the oil pressure sensor (usually located on the block next to the oil filter). The sensor triggers at about 5 psi of oil pressure. The bigger issue is that your oil pump, even when the engine hot and at a slow idle, should keep about 20 psi of oil pressure. Either the pressure sensor is malfunctioning, or something is amiss in your engine - worn connection rod or crankshaft main bearings. I recommend a low oil pressure inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.