Does the AC clutch spin freely even if the car is off? cl...

Q: Does the AC clutch spin freely even if the car is off?

asked by on October 02, 2016

Hot air started to blow out of the vents. Checked all the fuses and relays for the AC, they were good. I want to know if the clutch moves freely even if the car is off. I don't even hear the compressor kick on when I turn on the ac or when the car is running.

Hello, thank you for writing in. Most AC clutches are designed to spin freely when disengaged, and also with the pulley and compressor when those are engaged. If the clutch spins freely at all times, and the compressor never comes on, then it may not be engaging and therefore needs to be replaced. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect this for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.