Q: smell of gasoline in the front seen when driving after fuel pump and filter replacement

asked by on November 30, 2016

hello i had my fuel pump and fuel filter replaced ! it came in two parts an electric device looking like a flashlight with short wires coming out and the fuel filter. there was a spill when the mechanic was working. now after a week i smell gasoline when i am driving. not sure if it is coming from the vent. in the back seat no smell and no smell under the hood. checked the fuel pump under the seat and the metal cover, it is dry. where could it from? if not from the back seat near the pump and the spill and not from under the hood, where can it be from? i am thinking that maybe from under the pump where i cannot reach without removing the pump. is it possible? what can i do?

Hello there, many issues will cause a fuel smell in your 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander. Fuel smell from spills can linger for some time on the vehicle, especially if the fuel was inside the vehicle at all. If the fuel smell continues to persist and seems to be getting worse there may be an issue. The leaks that cause fuel smells are generally very small and not visible unless the leak is very large. Common faults would be the fuel pump tank seal, cracked EVAP hose, charcoal canister, or a faulty EVAP solenoid. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your [fuel smell]https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/smell-in-the-car-inspection) and make any repairs required.