Q: Neutral Safety Switch

asked by on August 10, 2017

My truck stalls on mostly right turns. I got all the cylinders firing again and it hasnt stalled when in drive since but still stalls out when in reverse mostly when turned right and the engine is warmer. i can back out of the garage leaving for work and by the time i get there about 10-15 minutes later i go to back into a spot and she stalls, starts right back up and then goes back just fine.

It sounds like you may possibly have a bad neutral safety switch. Your vehicle has a neutral safety switch that will prevent the vehicle from starting when it is in any gear position other than park or neutral. Occasionally, this switch can malfunction causing the car to stall as soon as you put it into any gear. This switch usually also monitors gear selection data as well, that is transmitted back to the computer. This switch is connected to the starter solenoid which allows it to complete the starter circuit only when the transmission is in park or neutral. In some cases, if the switch is bad, it will not allow the car to start as a result of the switch producing a faulty signal indicating that the car is in gear even when it is not. In other cases it may cause the car to stall when engaging reverse or drive. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.