Q: Car vibrares for a second when holding the throttle

Hi I have a 95 Mercury Cougar XR7 when I drive around and around 40 miles per hour the car starts to vibrate but when I let off the throttle it goes away I don't know what's wrong with it even though the transmission shifts smooth

A: This is a problem with the torque converter...

This is a problem with the torque converter chattering. The torque converter on these cars will start to lock up around 40 to 45 miles per hour and when the internal clutches in the converter start to go bad they start chattering. Try to put your car in drive instead of overdrive and see if the problem goes away. If it does then you know the torque converter is bad and will need to be replaced. Sometimes a transmission flush will help eliminate the shutter for awhile and you could try that first but it may not work if the converter is too far gone.